Buoyancy Driven Nearshore Flows
This project investigates the dynamics of buoyancy-driven flows induced by surface cooling in nearshore aquatic systems.
Under Ice Fluid Dynamics
This project aims at gaining a mechanistic understanding of the thermo-hydrodynamics of ice-covered waterbodies.
Convection in Permeable Media
This project aims at characterising scaling laws for heat and mass transport driven by convection in permeable media.
Our lab is currently looking for:
- Undergraduate students
- Graduate students (+link to PhD program)
- Postdoctoral researchers
To learn more about the open positions, click here. For any questions, feel free to send an email.
In the Spotlight
- (2023) The impacts of climate change on thermal stratification and dissolved oxygen in the temperate, dimictic Mississippi Lake, Ontario. M. Yaghouti, N. Heidarzadeh, HN. Ulloa, and N. Nakhaei. Ecological Informatics. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoinf.2023.102087
- (2023) Near-bed stratification controls bottom hypoxia in ice-covered alpine lakes. M.-E. Perga, C. Minaudo, T. Doda, F. Arthaud, H. Beria, H.E. Chmiel, N. Escoffier, T. Lambert, R. Napolleoni, B. Obrador, P. Perolo, J. Rüegg, HN. Ulloa, and D. Bouffard. Limonology and Oceanography. DOI: 10.1002/lno.12341
- (2023) Scaling the CO2-brine mixing in permeable media via analogue models. JA. Letelier, HN. Ulloa, J. Lyerer, J. & J.J. Ortega. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2023.246
- (2023) Reconstructing temperature fields for thermally-driven flows under quasi-steady state. D. Noto, HN. Ulloa, & JA. Letelier. Experiments in Fluids 64. DOI: 10.1007/s00348-023-03620-z
- (2023) Basin-scale hydrodynamics and physical connectivity in a great Patagonian Lake. J. Abarca, HN. Ulloa, Y. Niño, Journal of Great Lakes Research. DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2022.12.008
- (2023) Penetrative Convection Modifies the Dynamics of Downslope Gravity Currents. T. Doda, HN. Ulloa, CL. Ramón, A. Wüest, D. Bouffard, Geophysical Research Letters. DOI:10.1029/2022GL100633
- (2023) Disentangling the effects of climate change and reoligotrophication on primary production in a large lake. S. Krishna, HN. Ulloa, E. Barbe, A. Wüest, Aquatic Sciences 85 (16). DOI:10.1007/s00027-022-00910-2
- (2022). Towards Understanding Underwater Weather Events in Rivers Using Autonomous Surface Vehicles. A. K. Li et al. OCEANS 2022, Hampton Roads, Hampton Roads, VA, USA, pp. 1-8, DOI: 10.1109/OCEANS47191.2022.9977236.
- (2022) Convective regimes induced by surface cooling and topography in stratified waterbodies. HN. Ulloa, CL. Ramón, T. Doda, D. Bouffard, Proceedings of the 39th IAHR World Congress. DOI:10.3850/IAHR-39WC2521716X20221552.
- (2022) Flushing the Lake Littoral Region: The Interaction of Differential Cooling and Mild Winds. CL. Ramón, HN. Ulloa, T. Doda, D. Bouffard, Water Resources Research. DOI:10.1029/2021WR030943
- (2022) Seasonality of density currents induced by differential cooling. T. Doda, CL. Ramón, HN. Ulloa, A. Wüest, D. Bouffard, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. DOI:10.5194/hess-26-331-2022
- (2022) Energetics and mixing of thermally driven flows in Hele-Shaw cells. HN. Ulloa, JA. Letelier, J. Fluid Mech. DOI:10.1017/jfm.2021.897
- (2022) Development of overturning circulation due to surface cooling in sloping waterbodies. HN. Ulloa, CL. Ramón, T. Doda, A. Wüest, D. Bouffard, J. Fluid Mech. DOI:10.1017/jfm.2021.883
Penn Arts & Sciences,
Department of Earth & Environmental Science, 264B Hayden Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6316
(+1) 267 372 15 34
Computational Lab – 164 Hayden Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6316
Experimental Lab – BS2, David Rittenhouse Laboratory, Philadelphia, PA 19104